A positive pregnancy test can be one of the most exciting or scariest times in your life. Deciding what to do next is sometimes really difficult. AWC offers free pregnancy tests and medically accurate information about your pregnancy options. Our trained nurses and client advocates will walk alongside you throughout the process and provide unconditional support.
The pregnancy tests we offer are lab quality urine tests that are 97-99% accurate 7-10 days after conception. Please call or fill out the request an appointment form to schedule an appointment.
We provide free limited first-trimester ultrasounds to those who qualify. An ultrasound can answer several questions that may give you some clarity if you are considering having an abortion.
Have you had an ultrasound to rule out an ectopic pregnancy?
An ectopic pregnancy is one that does not implant in the uterus, but outside of the uterus, usually in the fallopian tube.1 It is crucial to have a sonogram before having an abortion, partly for this reason. If the pregnancy is in your tubes & not your uterus, it can rupture and be life threatening to you if not treated immediately.2 Neither a medical or surgical abortion will remove an ectopic pregnancy.3 If you have any of the following symptoms, please go to the ER right away:
- Severe abdominal pain or cramping with vaginal bleeding
- Extreme lightheadedness or fainting
What are other reasons an ultrasound is important to have done before having an abortion?
- In the state of Texas, a woman is required by law to have a sonogram 24 hours before an abortion can be performed.4
- A sonogram can show if the pregnancy is healthy/viable. If the sonographer (licensed RN) is unable to detect a fetal heartbeat, there could be a chance that you will miscarry naturally. Also, if there is a fetal heartbeat that is slower than normal or the baby is smaller than he/she should be for how far along you are, these things could indicate that a potential miscarriage may happen, which may eliminate the need for an abortion.5,6,7
- A sonogram is necessary to see how far along you are in your pregnancy. There are different abortion procedures & differing prices, depending on how far along you are.
If you are considering abortion, you probably have a lot of questions. We want to help answer those questions for you.
A medical/chemical abortion may seem like a quick and easy solution to your unplanned pregnancy, but there are several things to consider before making that choice. Please contact us so we can schedule you for an ultrasound & STD test. Please visit our Free Ultrasounds and STD Services links so that you can know why both of these things are very important to have done before having an abortion.
We do not perform or refer for abortion, but we want to ensure that you have all of the medically accurate information you need to make an informed decision. Please call us or fill out the request an appointment form to schedule an appointment.